‘Poor sanitation record is biggest blot on India’
Karnal: Sixty per cent of women do not have access to proper sanitation in India which is the "biggest blot" on a country that has otherwise successfully tested missiles and put satellites in space, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Saturday.
"60 per cent women in the country do not have access to toilets...We can launch missiles like Agni and satellites, but we cannot provide sanitation to our women. What can be a biggest blot on the nation than this?", the Rural Development Minister said at Nirmal Gram Puraskar-2011 distribution function and Panchayati Raj Sammelan here.
India is lagging behind its neighbours Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan when it comes to providing proper sanitation to people, Ramesh, who also holds the portfolio of Drinking Water and Sanitation, said.
Mahatma Gandhi is the one and only politician in the country who sincerely worked to end the menace of open defecation, Ramesh said.
Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan, a re-structured programme of Total Sanitation Campaign, would be formally launched soon, he said, adding that village panchayats concerned would be made responsible for keeping their village open-defecation free.
Ramesh said the Central government has fixed a target to make every gram panchayat as open-defecation free in next 10 years and added that the government would increase the fund under the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan from Rs 2,200 to Rs 9,900 per household.
While praising the Haryana government and its approach in the total sanitation campaign, the Minister said that he always asked other states to follow the Haryana slogan of `Shauchalya Nahin To Dulhan Nahin` (No toilets, No bride).
"If you continue this programme in the same pace, in three years your state will become Nirmal Haryana," he told state Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda who was present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'