Rains wreak havoc in Haryana, 52 people stranded
Yamunanagar: Heavy overnight rains and rising water level in the Yamuna are hampering rescue operation to take out the 52 villagers, who are stranded on a tract of land in Lapra village here due to floods triggered by heavy rains.
The Army and National Disaster Management Authority personnel are already assisting the civil administration and the help of Air Force has also been requested, official sources said.
The rains had led to an alarming increase in the water level of Yamuna, even as a record over 8 lakh cusecs water was flowing through the Hathni Kund barrage, prompting the authorities to sound a high alert in the neighbouring districts of Karnal, Panipat and Sonipat.
The villagers, who used to cultivate musk melons and water melons on that piece of land, got trapped as the water level of river Yamuna rose menacingly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead