New Delhi: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra has issued a statement rejecting allegations of impropriety in the manner in which he was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Haryana.
Media Statement from Dr Subhash Chandra On:
• The Biennial Election to Council of State of Haryana, 2016,
• Complaint of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee and
• Mr. R K Anand regarding manipulating the pen for marking the votes
“In reference to the above-noted subject matter; I have been notified through the media reports that the above-mentioned entities have lodged a complaint against me for allegedly manipulating the pen for marking the votes. With all due respect, the present complaints are an abuse of the process of the law and are simply a counterblast to losing the elections.
These complaints are frivolous in nature and based on whimsical assumptions without a shred of evidentiary backing. Election Commission in Delhi had reviewed the proceedings post counting and after going through the same had given clearance to the declaration of results. The same is clearly reflected in the videos that were reviewed by the Election Commission. It is evidently clear from the interviews provided by various members of different parties regarding how the charges were traded between INLD and INC, right after the night of the election and the same allegations continued till 12th of June.
On 13th June, a new theory was coined blaming me to have cheated by magically exchanging the pen provided by Election Commission to cast the vote. It is a matter to record that the entire election process was transparent and no one, during the vote counting process, could have been certain as to the fact that Congress votes could be rejected/declared invalid as there was no mark to identify as who had marked which ballot.
Based on the news reports that came out prior to and during the election, I would like to state a few observations:
• Reports prior to 31st May 2016 showcase INLD stating that they will never seek support from INC
• The second set of reports that came out during the period between 1st to 10th June establishing resistance to Mr. R K Anand by almost all Congress MLAs. Mr. Abhay Chautala also stated that even if Congress offers support, it will have nothing to do with INLD.
• On 10th June, suddenly Mr. R K Anand shifted his loyalty from INLD to Congress and stated that he will support Congress' policies.
• Notwithstanding, there were also reports of blame game between INLD and Congress of ditching each other and making a deal with BJP.
• Despite clear instructions to mark vote on ballot paper by violet sketch pen, some MLAs have consciously and deliberately marked their votes wrongly, resulting in the rejection of votes.
It will not be completely out of context to mention here that the whip issued by INC and INLD to vote for Mr. R.K. Anand in itself is a penal offence and is punishable under Section 171-C of Indian Penal Code.
The fall of events and complaints followed after the election results are only aimed at maligning my reputation and goodwill as an Elected Candidate. Even after showcasing its transparency in holding the elections, the Election Commission is also targeted with complaints, which are only based on assumptions of the complainant.
I would once again like to reiterate my position as an honest candidate whose aim is to simply work for the interest of Haryana.”