Ranbir Singh INLD`s candidate for RS seat from Haryana
Chandigarh: Indian National Lok Dal today
announced the name of Ranbir Singh Gangwa, a backward class
leader, as the party`s nominee for the upcoming Rajya Sabha
elections from Haryana.
The name of 45-year-old Gangwa, who is INLD`s Hisar
district unit chief and had unsuccessfully contested the 2009
state assembly, was cleared at a meeting of the party`s
legislature group chaired by its chief and former Haryana
chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala at his residence here.
The INLD`s legislature party meet held on June 16 in
Delhi had unanimously authorised Chautala to choose the name
of the candidate for the Rajya Sabha elections.
Addressing a news conference here this evening, Chautala
said that Gangwa would be filing his nomination here tomorrow.
He said the party had earlier given representation to
different sections in the Upper House before choosing a
backward class leader this time.
Meanwhile, former Haryana finance minister and senior
Congress leader Birender Singh, who is the Congress
candidate for the Rajya Sabha elections from the state, would
be filing his nomination on June 30.
Before he files his nomination, there would be a meeting
of Congress MLAs from the state, which would be attended by
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Birender Singh has also invited party MPs from the
state on the day he files his nomination.
Singh had lost to Chautala in 2009 assembly elections by
a margin of 621 votes from Uchana Kalan constituency in Jind
Birender Singh, who is currently co-chairman of the
Congress` coordination committee for Haryana to ensure smooth
functioning of the government, said that Congress general
secretary Prithvi Raj Chauhan was also expected to be present
when he files his nomination.
Biennial election to fill two vacancies to the Rajya
Sabha from Haryana will be held on July 10.
The two seats fell vacant due to completion of the term
of Tarlochan Singh and resignation of Ajay Singh Chautala
(INLD), who was elected from Dabwali after the 2009 assembly
The nominations would close on June 30, scrutiny would
take place the following day and the last day of withdrawal is
The party-wise strength in the 90-member state assembly
is ruling Congress 45, including the Speaker, INLD 31, BJP
four, BSP, SAD and Haryana Janhit Congress-BL one each and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook