`Rape cases a conspiracy against Haryana`
Chandigarh: A woman minister in the Bhoopinder Singh Hood government has on Friday made a controversial claim that the rising number of rapes in the state was a "conspiracy" against the Haryana state.
Haryana`s Social Welfare, Education, and Women and Child Welfare Minister Geeta Bhukkal said: "I believe that the way in which the statistics (on rapes) are being projected for Haryana, it is a conspiracy against the state. Such incidents (rapes) are taking place not only in Haryana but also in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and other states."
"It is a matter of concern for all. We don`t want such incidents to happen. It is not a political issue or the responsibility of the government alone. Everyone should be concerned about it," Bhukkal said.
Before Bhukkal, Haryana Congress president Phool Chand Mullana earlier this week said that rapes could be a "conspiracy" against the Hooda government.
Bhukkal`s remarks came even as the state Congress issued a show cause notice to the party`s leader in Hisar Dharambir Goyat for his comment that "in 90 percent of the rape cases, the victims go with consent".
"I have no hesitation to say that 90 percent of the girls go with consent. They find criminal-minded people later (who rape them). The girls don`t realise that there are 5-10 boys (waiting for them)," Goyat told media persons on Thursday in Hisar town, 280 km from here.
Under fire from his own party leaders who were quick to dismiss his statement as "individual opinion", Goyat said on Friday: "I have not given any such comment during the press conference. After the press conference, someone asked me if it was true that some girls go with consent (for sex). I told them that I have also heard that many girls do so."
"My intention was not bad. The party (Congress) and the (Haryana) government have nothing to do with this. These were my individual comments. I have highest regard for women," Goyat told the media on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in