Rapid Metro formally inaugurated in Gurgaon
Gurgaon: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Sunday formally inaugurated the Rapid Metro Gurgaon line, a month after the mass transit service started commercial operations.
The function was organised at the Sikanderpur Metro Station where both the Rapid Metro and Delhi Metro converge.
Hooda and some Haryana ministers boarded a Rapid Metro train after the inauguration.
The Phase-I of the Rapid Metro has been built at a cost of Rs.1,088 crore. The 5.1-km stretch has six stations - Sikanderpur, DLF Phase-2, Belvedere Towers, Cyber City, Moulsari Avenue and Cyber Green Infinity Towers.
Looking into the needs of people, the Rapid Metro began commercial operations Nov 14. It is open to commuters from 6 a.m. till shortly after midnight.
The Rapid Metro, an intra-city service in Gurgaon, is the first project on a public-private-partnership (PPP) model in the country.
Five fully-automated trains with a frequency of four minutes run between five stations. Each train carries over 800 passengers on one trip.
Officials expect that about 30 percent of the existing road traffic in Gurgaon will move to the Rapid Metro, thereby reducing travel time and traffic congestion for commuters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery