Rathore`s parole plea rejected
Panchkula: Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
convicted for molesting budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra
two decades ago, plea for parole has been rejected by the
district administration, officials said on Saturday.
Rathore, who is lodged in Burail jail in Chandigarh
after he was awarded 18-month prison term on May 25, had
sought 10-day parole on grounds that he had to get some work
done on his agricultural land in Panchkula, they said.
The plea has been rejected following the report of the
Revenue Department officials that no sowing or harvesting was
to be done on the land belonging to Rathore family in a nearby
village, they said.
After Rathore`s conviction by a local court, his
lawyer wife Abha had on May 26 filed a revision petition in
the High Court which was also rejected by Justice Jitendra
Chauhan earlier this week.
14-year-old Ruchika was molested by Rathore, the then
Haryana Lawn Tennis Association President, in August 1990.
Three years later Ruchika committed suicide.
Anand Parkash, husband of Madhu Parkash, who was the
complainant in the case had objected to Rathore`s move seeking
release on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed