Rathore`s parole plea rejected
Panchkula: Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
convicted for molesting budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra
two decades ago, plea for parole has been rejected by the
district administration, officials said on Saturday.
Rathore, who is lodged in Burail jail in Chandigarh
after he was awarded 18-month prison term on May 25, had
sought 10-day parole on grounds that he had to get some work
done on his agricultural land in Panchkula, they said.
The plea has been rejected following the report of the
Revenue Department officials that no sowing or harvesting was
to be done on the land belonging to Rathore family in a nearby
village, they said.
After Rathore`s conviction by a local court, his
lawyer wife Abha had on May 26 filed a revision petition in
the High Court which was also rejected by Justice Jitendra
Chauhan earlier this week.
14-year-old Ruchika was molested by Rathore, the then
Haryana Lawn Tennis Association President, in August 1990.
Three years later Ruchika committed suicide.
Anand Parkash, husband of Madhu Parkash, who was the
complainant in the case had objected to Rathore`s move seeking
release on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves