Rathore`s parole plea rejected
Panchkula: Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
convicted for molesting budding tennis player Ruchika Girhotra
two decades ago, plea for parole has been rejected by the
district administration, officials said on Saturday.
Rathore, who is lodged in Burail jail in Chandigarh
after he was awarded 18-month prison term on May 25, had
sought 10-day parole on grounds that he had to get some work
done on his agricultural land in Panchkula, they said.
The plea has been rejected following the report of the
Revenue Department officials that no sowing or harvesting was
to be done on the land belonging to Rathore family in a nearby
village, they said.
After Rathore`s conviction by a local court, his
lawyer wife Abha had on May 26 filed a revision petition in
the High Court which was also rejected by Justice Jitendra
Chauhan earlier this week.
14-year-old Ruchika was molested by Rathore, the then
Haryana Lawn Tennis Association President, in August 1990.
Three years later Ruchika committed suicide.
Anand Parkash, husband of Madhu Parkash, who was the
complainant in the case had objected to Rathore`s move seeking
release on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley