Reservations: Jat leaders to intensify agitation in Haryana
Hisar: Jat leaders on Sunday decided to intensify
their agitation for securing reservations in government jobs
for the community, even as Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder
Singh Hooda said the matter was not under the purview of his
The decision for the agitation was taken by the Jat
Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti at a rally held in Mayyar village,
about 15 km from Hisar.
After the rally, a large number of people started dharna
on Hisar-Rewari rail track from Mayyar village to Hansi town.
Rail traffic on this route was suspended due to dharna, while
trains between Hisar-Delhi were also affected.
The Samiti gave a one-day ultimatum to the Haryana
government to announce the reservation in government jobs,
failing which it threatened to go on agitation in other parts
of the state.
Haryana Roadways Department today suspended its bus
services between Hisar-Delhi as a precautionary measure due to
the rally. Passengers were left stranded at Hisar stand due to
the suspension of bus service without any prior announcement.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said that
his government has already written to the Centre to grant
reservation to the Jat community.
The Centre has also referred the case to the Backward
Classes Commission for consideration, Hooda told reporters
He said Jat leaders demanding reservation should plead
their case with the Central government as "it was not in the
jurisdiction and purview of the state government".
But the Samiti leaders maintained a tough stand saying
that they would be left with no other option, but to come out
on the streets if the state government did not respond to
their demands in a positive manner.
They alleged that the community was being ignored by the
state government and warned that they would not tolerate this
Some of the Jat leaders who addressed the rally were
Daljit Panghal, Om Prakash Dhankar, Dhara Singh Malik, Kitab
Singh Malik, Mohinder Singh Poonia, Mohinder Panghal and
Last year, one person was killed when Haryana Police
resorted to firing on protestors who indulged in arson and
sabotage at Mayar village to press their demand of reservation
for Jats in government jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM