Rohtak shelter home case: Police officer held
Rohtak: The Haryana police officer heading the probe into the sexual exploitation and physical and mental torture of inmates at the Apna Ghar shelter home here has been arrested for destruction of evidence, police said Friday.
Sub-inspector Bhim Singh Ranga, who retired last month, was arrested by a special investigation team (SIT) of the Haryana police, said Additional Director General of Police (law and order) and SIT chief M.S. Mann.
The special team was constituted by Director General of Police (DGP) Ranjiv Singh Dalal last month to probe the involvement of certain police officials from Rohtak district in the illegal activities at the shelter home.
Ranga was made investigating officer of the case May this year after the Apna Ghar scandal was revealed by a team of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) May 9. Over 100 inmates, including children, girls and women, were rescued from the home after a raid.
So far, seven people have been arrested, including the shelter home in-charge Jaswanti, her daughter Sushma alias Simmi, son-in-law Jai Bhagwan and four others.
The accused have been booked for rape, molestation, wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and immoral trafficking.
Rohtak town is 70 km from national capital New Delhi.
The Apna Ghar shelter home, which was being run by an NGO Bharat Vikas Sangh for several years, has been sealed by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...