Rs 10 lakh for family of killed Haryana union leader
Chandigarh: The Haryana government Thursday announced a compensation of Rs.10 lakh to the family of a Haryana Roadways driver and union leader, killed in a freak accident in Ambala city on Day One of the nationwide strike.
The state government has ordered an enquiry into Wednesday`s incident in which the driver, Narinder Singh, was killed after being hit by a bus. This led to violence by other Roadways workers.
A spokesman said here Thursday that Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda announced a compensation of Rs.10 lakh to the next of kin of the driver.
Singh was hit by a bus at the gate of the Ambala bus depot Wednesday morning as he was trying to stop the bus from being taken out of the depot.
His death led to violence by Roadways staff, who damaged several government vehicles.
The spokesman said that Hooda also announced a government job to the daughter-in-law of the deceased driver.
State Industries and Commerce Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala met officers of district administration, police, leaders of the Roadways employees and relatives of the deceased driver in Ambala Thursday to defuse the situation.
The union leaders had refused to cremate the driver`s body till a case was registered against the officers who had tried to forcibly ply buses during the strike.
Surjewala said the state government has ordered a magisterial enquiry into the incident, as demanded by Roadways employees` leaders.
"Till the completion of the enquiry, the proceedings of the cases registered against leaders of the employees and the employees would not be pursued," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray