Rs 10 lakh for family of killed Haryana union leader
Chandigarh: The Haryana government Thursday announced a compensation of Rs.10 lakh to the family of a Haryana Roadways driver and union leader, killed in a freak accident in Ambala city on Day One of the nationwide strike.
The state government has ordered an enquiry into Wednesday`s incident in which the driver, Narinder Singh, was killed after being hit by a bus. This led to violence by other Roadways workers.
A spokesman said here Thursday that Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda announced a compensation of Rs.10 lakh to the next of kin of the driver.
Singh was hit by a bus at the gate of the Ambala bus depot Wednesday morning as he was trying to stop the bus from being taken out of the depot.
His death led to violence by Roadways staff, who damaged several government vehicles.
The spokesman said that Hooda also announced a government job to the daughter-in-law of the deceased driver.
State Industries and Commerce Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala met officers of district administration, police, leaders of the Roadways employees and relatives of the deceased driver in Ambala Thursday to defuse the situation.
The union leaders had refused to cremate the driver`s body till a case was registered against the officers who had tried to forcibly ply buses during the strike.
Surjewala said the state government has ordered a magisterial enquiry into the incident, as demanded by Roadways employees` leaders.
"Till the completion of the enquiry, the proceedings of the cases registered against leaders of the employees and the employees would not be pursued," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical