Ruchika case: Rathore applies for parole
Chandigarh: Former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra and currently lodged at the Burail jail, has applied for nearly two weeks parole for looking after crops in his farmhouses, jail officials said here on Friday.
Rathore, 68, was sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court of Chandigarh after being convicted for molesting the teenager in 1990. She committed suicide three years later.
"Rathore had applied for parole around 15 days ago. In his plea, he had mentioned that he has two farmhouses in Panchkula district in Haryana and he has to look after the harvesting and cultivation of new crops. He said that there was nobody to take care of it in his absence," said a jail official, requesting not to be named.
"To check the authenticity of his plea, we have asked the Panchkula administration and district police chief to look into it and we are waiting for their reply," he added.
Rathore, the former Haryana director general of police, was sent to Burail jail here May 25 after the court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
However, Rathore had also filed a revision petition, challenging the sentence term, in the Punjab and Haryana High Court here, which has reserved its decision.
The complainant`s family has strongly opposed the parole plea of Rathore.
"We strongly oppose this plea of Rathore. If he is out of the jail, he can try to interfere in the proceedings of this case by hampering the CBI probe and evidence. We are also not feeling secure as he can also harm us by using his influence," Anand Parkash, a complainant in the case, told a news agency on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried