Ruchika case: Rathore stripped of police medal
Chandigarh: The Haryana government has received back the president`s police medal for meritorious service awarded to disgraced former state police chief S.P.S Rathore, an official said here Friday.
The medal has been "cancelled and forfeited", a Haryana police spokesperson said.
A court held Rathore guilty in December last year of molesting 15-year-old Ruchika in Panchkula town in August 1990. She committed suicide three years later.
President Pratibha Patil had given her assent to the Home Ministry and authorised that the the retired official, who had molested the girl 19 years ago, be stripped of the medal.
The Home Ministry action came on a recommendation made by the Central Police Awards Committee (CPAC).
The CPAC, headed by Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai, recommended to the President for the withdrawal of the 1985 police medal given to Rathore for "moral turpitude" or bringing "disrepute or disrespect" to the service following his conviction.
The six-month sentence for Rathore had also led to a furore which forced the government to take several steps including a direction to the CBI for appealing against the verdict and seek a maximum punishment (two years) for the accused.
The Home Ministry has also served a show cause notice to Rathore asking as to why his pension and other post-retirement benefits should not be reduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!