Ruchika molestation: Centre may consider re-probe
New Delhi: Indications emerged today that
the case against former Haryana DGP S P S Rathore, convicted
of molesting a teenaged girl who later killed herself, may be
reinvestigated in the face of public outcry that he got away
with a light punishment and that should be charged with
abetment to suicide.
Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told reporters in
Mangalore in reponse to a question that the Centre will direct
re-investigation into the case.
"The Centre will request for reinvestigation of the
Ruchika case", he said.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said here
that the case against Rathore, who has been sentenced to
six-month imprisonment for molesting Ruchika, a budding tennis
player, "should be revisited". The light sentence given to
67-year-old former top cop has led to a public uproar.
"After examining (the case) legally, I think it
should be revisited. It needs revisitation on the whole issue.
I am fully sympathising with the family (of Ruchika)," Hooda
told reporters here.
Meanwhile, the central government has also initiated
steps to withdraw the police medal awarded to Rathore in 1985
and reduce his pension.
"The matter will be placed before an award committee on
January 4, when the committee will meet. Thereafter the
recommendation will go to the president," Union Home Secretary
G K Pillai told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter