Ruchika molestation: Centre may consider re-probe
New Delhi: Indications emerged today that
the case against former Haryana DGP S P S Rathore, convicted
of molesting a teenaged girl who later killed herself, may be
reinvestigated in the face of public outcry that he got away
with a light punishment and that should be charged with
abetment to suicide.
Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told reporters in
Mangalore in reponse to a question that the Centre will direct
re-investigation into the case.
"The Centre will request for reinvestigation of the
Ruchika case", he said.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said here
that the case against Rathore, who has been sentenced to
six-month imprisonment for molesting Ruchika, a budding tennis
player, "should be revisited". The light sentence given to
67-year-old former top cop has led to a public uproar.
"After examining (the case) legally, I think it
should be revisited. It needs revisitation on the whole issue.
I am fully sympathising with the family (of Ruchika)," Hooda
told reporters here.
Meanwhile, the central government has also initiated
steps to withdraw the police medal awarded to Rathore in 1985
and reduce his pension.
"The matter will be placed before an award committee on
January 4, when the committee will meet. Thereafter the
recommendation will go to the president," Union Home Secretary
G K Pillai told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note