Ruchika’s family gives up fight for justice
Chandigarh: The family of Ruchika Girhotra, a minor girl who committed suicide after allegedly being molested by former Director General of Police (DGP) of Haryana SPS Rathore, hasn’t objected to CBI’s closure report which states that there is no evidence to prove Ruchika’s brother Ashu was tortured in custody or that signatures of her father had been forged on her post-mortem report.
Appearing before the Panchkula court, SC Girhotra and his son Ashu raised no objection to the CBI move.
Based on the family’s decision, the CBI court in Panchkula accepted the closure report filed by the agency in 2010 in these two cases on Friday.
Ashu had alleged that a false case of auto theft was slapped on him at the behest of Rathore and he was brutally tortured by the Haryana police. But the CBI closure report said there was no evidence to substantiate the allegations.
The report also took note of the fact that Ashu had admitted to theft of nine vehicles. However, Ashu was acquitted of the theft charges by a Panchkula court in 1997.
SC Girhotra had alleged that his signatures were taken on blank papers during the post-mortem proceedings of his daughter Ruchika. He also said that his daughter’s name was intentionally changed to Ruby and his name from SC Girhotra to his expanded initials ‘Subhash Chand’.
But the CBI closure report said that Girhotra had himself disclosed his name as Subhash Chand and his daughter’s name as Ruby.
A CBI court in Chandigarh had, in December 2009, found Rathore guilty and sentenced him to six years of rigorous imprisonment for molesting the 14-year-old Ruchika on August 12, 1990. He is currently out on bail from the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video