Ruchika`s family hurt by SC order granting bail to Rathore

Last Updated: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 13:40

Chandigarh: Deeply hurt by the Supreme
Court order granting bail to SPS Rathore, the father of Ruchika Girhotra Thursday said the disgraced former Haryana DGP should not have been treated as an "ordinary accused" and
feared for his family`s safety after his release.

"I am deeply hurt. I believe that no leniency should
have been shown to Rathore and he should not have been treated
as an ordinary accused," an emotionally-charged S C Girhotra
said, minutes after the apex court granted bail to
Rathore.

Ruchika, 14, a budding tennis player, had committed
suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August
12, 1990.

Girhotra said he feared for his family`s safety once
68-year-old Rathore is out of the jail.

"We are feeling insecure," he said, adding that
Rathore deserves "exemplary punishment."

"He should not have been treated as an ordinary
accused as he had been held guilty of molesting a 14-year-old
girl. He was an Inspector General of Police rank officer (in
1990) when he committed the crime.

"No leniency should be shown. Being an IG, he should
have acted as protector of children, but instead he himself
committed the crime," he said.

He said the granting of bail is "unfortunate" at a
time when the Government is talking of tougher laws to bring
to justice those who are held guilty of crime against
children, particularly those relating to sexual harassment.

"Nobody from the Government came forward to ensure
that Rathore is not granted any reprieve," he said.

Rathore has been serving the 18-month jail term in
Burail jail here since May 25 after his punishment was
enhanced by a sessions court.

Punjab and Haryana High Court had on September 1
dismissed Rathore`s appeal challenging his conviction and the
sentence, saying his conduct as a top official was
"shameful".

The Supreme Court gave bail to Rathore, a day after
the CBI filed a closure report in two of the three fresh cases
registered against the former DGP following allegations by the
Girhotra and his son Ashu in December last year.

The two cases involve doctoring of post-mortem report, filed by S C Girhotra, and a torture case filed by Ashu.
Commenting on the CBI`s closure report, Girhotra said
that "it was a unilateral action" taken by the premier
investigating agency.

"Nobody from the CBI met me during the past 5-6
months. They never discussed anything with me and never told
me that they were going to file the report," he said.

He said the CBI should have given him an opportunity
to explain his position, which he claimed was not done.
"Now, I will discuss with my lawyer and accordingly we
will decide what step to take (on the closure report)," he
said.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 13:40

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus