Ruchika`s family hurt by SC order granting bail to Rathore
Chandigarh: Deeply hurt by the Supreme
Court order granting bail to SPS Rathore, the father of Ruchika Girhotra Thursday said the disgraced former Haryana DGP should not have been treated as an "ordinary accused" and
feared for his family`s safety after his release.
"I am deeply hurt. I believe that no leniency should
have been shown to Rathore and he should not have been treated
as an ordinary accused," an emotionally-charged S C Girhotra
said, minutes after the apex court granted bail to
Ruchika, 14, a budding tennis player, had committed
suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August
Girhotra said he feared for his family`s safety once
68-year-old Rathore is out of the jail.
"We are feeling insecure," he said, adding that
Rathore deserves "exemplary punishment."
"He should not have been treated as an ordinary
accused as he had been held guilty of molesting a 14-year-old
girl. He was an Inspector General of Police rank officer (in
1990) when he committed the crime.
"No leniency should be shown. Being an IG, he should
have acted as protector of children, but instead he himself
committed the crime," he said.
He said the granting of bail is "unfortunate" at a
time when the Government is talking of tougher laws to bring
to justice those who are held guilty of crime against
children, particularly those relating to sexual harassment.
"Nobody from the Government came forward to ensure
that Rathore is not granted any reprieve," he said.
Rathore has been serving the 18-month jail term in
Burail jail here since May 25 after his punishment was
enhanced by a sessions court.
Punjab and Haryana High Court had on September 1
dismissed Rathore`s appeal challenging his conviction and the
sentence, saying his conduct as a top official was
The Supreme Court gave bail to Rathore, a day after
the CBI filed a closure report in two of the three fresh cases
registered against the former DGP following allegations by the
Girhotra and his son Ashu in December last year.
The two cases involve doctoring of post-mortem report, filed by S C Girhotra, and a torture case filed by Ashu.
Commenting on the CBI`s closure report, Girhotra said
that "it was a unilateral action" taken by the premier
"Nobody from the CBI met me during the past 5-6
months. They never discussed anything with me and never told
me that they were going to file the report," he said.
He said the CBI should have given him an opportunity
to explain his position, which he claimed was not done.
"Now, I will discuss with my lawyer and accordingly we
will decide what step to take (on the closure report)," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday