Sachhakhera gang-rape: Two get life term
Jind: Almost four months after a teenage girl killed herself after being gang-raped by two youths in Sachhakhera village, a local court on Friday sentenced the main accused and his accomplice to life imprisonment.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Jind R N Bharati also slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 each on Pradeep and Sandeep.
The case had grabbed news headlines and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi also visited the village to meet the victim`s parents.
The third accused is a minor and is being tried in a juvenile court.
The court had held the two youths guilty on Monday, while acquitting the brother and sister-in-law of Pradeep--Manoj and Meena-- for want of sufficient evidence against them.
According to the prosecution, before her death, the victim had given a statement to a magistrate.
According to her statement, on October 6, 2012, the victim was walking past her neighbour Pradeep`s house when he pulled her in. She was then locked in a room along with Pradeep and her minor neighbour by their friend Sandeep.
"In the room, Pradeep and the juvenile raped her. After the crime, the girl went to her uncle`s house and set herself on fire," said the statement.
The girl`s family had also accused Pradeep`s brother and sister-in-law of helping the accused in the crime.
On the basis of the girl`s statement, a case was registered against Pradeep, Sandeep, the juvenile, Manoj and Meena.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31