SAD core committee opposes Haryana SGPC creation
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday described the Haryana government`s move of setting up a parallel SGPC in that state as "direct assault" on the Sikh community, its history, traditions and spiritual values.
"The action of the Haryana government was not only flagrant violation of the constitutional provisions but also highly provocative interference in the religious affairs of the Sikh community, and that this would never be allowed to succeed," said a resolution passed at an emergency meeting of the core committee of the party here at the residence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
The meeting was also attended among others, by the CM, the party president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Amritsar-based SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar.
The party also appealed to the Centre to "intervene effectively, urgently and immediately" to prevent the situation from getting even worse and uglier.
Amritsar-based SGPC, SAD patron Sukhbir Singh Badal and other Akali leaders are at loggerheads with Hooda government for its decision to set up a separate body to manage affairs of Sikh shrines in Haryana.
There are some 25 big Sikh shrines in Haryana with an annual income of Rs 30 crore.
Haryana assembly had last week passed a bill for creation of Haryana Sikh Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (HSGPC) which was given "assent" by state governor yesterday.
Meanwhile, Shiromani Akali Dal core committee also slammed the Haryana government for adopting a resolution seeking Centre`s immediate intervention for the construction of contentious Satluj-Yamuna Link canal, the statement said.
The committee described it as "anti Punjab stance just to gain political mileage" in the forthcoming assembly polls in the neighbouring state.
It said that Punjab could not allow sharing a single drop of its river waters with Haryana as it was already facing acute water scarcity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’