SAD core committee opposes Haryana SGPC creation
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday described the Haryana government`s move of setting up a parallel SGPC in that state as "direct assault" on the Sikh community, its history, traditions and spiritual values.
"The action of the Haryana government was not only flagrant violation of the constitutional provisions but also highly provocative interference in the religious affairs of the Sikh community, and that this would never be allowed to succeed," said a resolution passed at an emergency meeting of the core committee of the party here at the residence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
The meeting was also attended among others, by the CM, the party president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Amritsar-based SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar.
The party also appealed to the Centre to "intervene effectively, urgently and immediately" to prevent the situation from getting even worse and uglier.
Amritsar-based SGPC, SAD patron Sukhbir Singh Badal and other Akali leaders are at loggerheads with Hooda government for its decision to set up a separate body to manage affairs of Sikh shrines in Haryana.
There are some 25 big Sikh shrines in Haryana with an annual income of Rs 30 crore.
Haryana assembly had last week passed a bill for creation of Haryana Sikh Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (HSGPC) which was given "assent" by state governor yesterday.
Meanwhile, Shiromani Akali Dal core committee also slammed the Haryana government for adopting a resolution seeking Centre`s immediate intervention for the construction of contentious Satluj-Yamuna Link canal, the statement said.
The committee described it as "anti Punjab stance just to gain political mileage" in the forthcoming assembly polls in the neighbouring state.
It said that Punjab could not allow sharing a single drop of its river waters with Haryana as it was already facing acute water scarcity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi