SAD core committee opposes Haryana SGPC creation
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday described the Haryana government`s move of setting up a parallel SGPC in that state as "direct assault" on the Sikh community, its history, traditions and spiritual values.
"The action of the Haryana government was not only flagrant violation of the constitutional provisions but also highly provocative interference in the religious affairs of the Sikh community, and that this would never be allowed to succeed," said a resolution passed at an emergency meeting of the core committee of the party here at the residence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
The meeting was also attended among others, by the CM, the party president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Amritsar-based SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar.
The party also appealed to the Centre to "intervene effectively, urgently and immediately" to prevent the situation from getting even worse and uglier.
Amritsar-based SGPC, SAD patron Sukhbir Singh Badal and other Akali leaders are at loggerheads with Hooda government for its decision to set up a separate body to manage affairs of Sikh shrines in Haryana.
There are some 25 big Sikh shrines in Haryana with an annual income of Rs 30 crore.
Haryana assembly had last week passed a bill for creation of Haryana Sikh Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (HSGPC) which was given "assent" by state governor yesterday.
Meanwhile, Shiromani Akali Dal core committee also slammed the Haryana government for adopting a resolution seeking Centre`s immediate intervention for the construction of contentious Satluj-Yamuna Link canal, the statement said.
The committee described it as "anti Punjab stance just to gain political mileage" in the forthcoming assembly polls in the neighbouring state.
It said that Punjab could not allow sharing a single drop of its river waters with Haryana as it was already facing acute water scarcity.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know