Sarpanch shot dead, attacker burnt alive
Gurgaon: A village head was on Thursday shot
dead over a water dispute following which enraged villagers
retaliated by burning alive one of the attackers here.
Rakesh, the sarpanch of Hayatpur village, was shot
dead by four men over an alleged water dispute in Gurgaon on
the ouskirts of Delhi, Joint Commissioner of Police Alok
The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital where he
was declared brought dead, he said.
Following the incident, enraged villagers nabbed one
of the alleged assailants and thrashed him. They poured petrol
over him and set him afire, police said, adding that he died
on the spot.
Haryana Police announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for the
arrest of the main accused whose name is also Rakesh.
State Director General of Police Ranjiv Dalal said
that 10 teams had been constituted to nab the main accused as
well as two other persons, who had attacked the sarpanch.
These teams were conducting raids at different
places, he said in Chandigarh.
According to Mittal, the accused Rakesh had called
three persons from outside the village to kill the Sarpanch.
After killing the Sarpanch, they were trying to
escape, but one of them was nabbed by the villagers.
As soon as Gurgaon police came to know of the
incident, a team from Sector 10 Police Station reached the
village and tried to save the person who was set afire, Mittal
He was immediately rushed to general hospital,
Mittal said that adequate number of police force has
been posted at village Hayatpur and the situation was under
DGP Dalal said that action as per law would be taken
against those who had set the man on fire.
"Nobody will be allowed to take law in their hands,"
the DGP said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged