Satlok Ashram evacuated, protesters cremate body
Rohtak: The disputed Satlok Ashram was completely evacuated and the protesters cremated the body of a woman killed in Sunday`s clashes as the stand-off between self-styled godman Rampal`s followers and Arya Samaj activists ended on Wednesday.
The issue was resolved peacefully after holding parleys with both the parties, Rohtak Deputy Commissioner Vikas Gupta said.
Security of the Satlok Ashram had been handed over to the CRPF as protesting Arya Samaj activists cremated the body of 40-year-old Promilla in Karantha village, some 12-km from Rohtak.
The protesters had earlier placed Promilla`s body near a village road and said they would not consign it to flames till the Ashram was totally cleared of Rampal`s supporters.
The district authorities sealed the Ashram by locking its main gate after transporting the remaining 500 followers of controversial preacher Rampal to Barwala town in Hisar by the Haryana Roadways buses.
Nearly 4,000 followers were evacuated last evening but some 500 refused to leave.
The Deputy Commissioner said the CRPF, deployed in the trouble-torn village in the wake of Sunday`s violence, had been entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring security of Satlok Ashram.
The row over possession of the Ashram took a violent turn on Sunday when police tried to stop activists of the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha from marching towards the dera of the controversial godman.
Three people were killed and over 100, including 50 policemen, injured in running battles between police and the protesters.
Tension had been brewing in the area for quite some time as the Arya Samajis claimed the ownership of the Ashram by Rampal was illegal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says