Satlok Ashram evacuated, protesters cremate body
Rohtak: The disputed Satlok Ashram was completely evacuated and the protesters cremated the body of a woman killed in Sunday`s clashes as the stand-off between self-styled godman Rampal`s followers and Arya Samaj activists ended on Wednesday.
The issue was resolved peacefully after holding parleys with both the parties, Rohtak Deputy Commissioner Vikas Gupta said.
Security of the Satlok Ashram had been handed over to the CRPF as protesting Arya Samaj activists cremated the body of 40-year-old Promilla in Karantha village, some 12-km from Rohtak.
The protesters had earlier placed Promilla`s body near a village road and said they would not consign it to flames till the Ashram was totally cleared of Rampal`s supporters.
The district authorities sealed the Ashram by locking its main gate after transporting the remaining 500 followers of controversial preacher Rampal to Barwala town in Hisar by the Haryana Roadways buses.
Nearly 4,000 followers were evacuated last evening but some 500 refused to leave.
The Deputy Commissioner said the CRPF, deployed in the trouble-torn village in the wake of Sunday`s violence, had been entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring security of Satlok Ashram.
The row over possession of the Ashram took a violent turn on Sunday when police tried to stop activists of the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha from marching towards the dera of the controversial godman.
Three people were killed and over 100, including 50 policemen, injured in running battles between police and the protesters.
Tension had been brewing in the area for quite some time as the Arya Samajis claimed the ownership of the Ashram by Rampal was illegal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!