Satlok Ashram evacuated, protesters cremate body
Rohtak: The disputed Satlok Ashram was completely evacuated and the protesters cremated the body of a woman killed in Sunday`s clashes as the stand-off between self-styled godman Rampal`s followers and Arya Samaj activists ended on Wednesday.
The issue was resolved peacefully after holding parleys with both the parties, Rohtak Deputy Commissioner Vikas Gupta said.
Security of the Satlok Ashram had been handed over to the CRPF as protesting Arya Samaj activists cremated the body of 40-year-old Promilla in Karantha village, some 12-km from Rohtak.
The protesters had earlier placed Promilla`s body near a village road and said they would not consign it to flames till the Ashram was totally cleared of Rampal`s supporters.
The district authorities sealed the Ashram by locking its main gate after transporting the remaining 500 followers of controversial preacher Rampal to Barwala town in Hisar by the Haryana Roadways buses.
Nearly 4,000 followers were evacuated last evening but some 500 refused to leave.
The Deputy Commissioner said the CRPF, deployed in the trouble-torn village in the wake of Sunday`s violence, had been entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring security of Satlok Ashram.
The row over possession of the Ashram took a violent turn on Sunday when police tried to stop activists of the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha from marching towards the dera of the controversial godman.
Three people were killed and over 100, including 50 policemen, injured in running battles between police and the protesters.
Tension had been brewing in the area for quite some time as the Arya Samajis claimed the ownership of the Ashram by Rampal was illegal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day