SC defers interim bail application of SPS Rathore
New Delhi: Disgraced former Haryana DGP S
P S Rathore will have to celebrate Diwali behind bars with the
Supreme Court on Wednesday deferring his interim bail plea till
November 11 in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation case.
A bench of Justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan,
however, clarified that it was not rejecting the bail
application but was only deferring it and sought Central
Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) response on the plea.
Rathore`s counsel U U Lalit had pleaded to the court
to release 68-year-old Rathore on interim bail so that he can
celebrate Diwali with his family.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had on September 1
dismissed Rathore`s appeal challenging his conviction and the
sentence for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika two decades ago,
saying his conduct as a top official was "shameful".
Justice Jatinder Chauhan had also dismissed a petition
by Rathore, who is undergoing the sentence in high-security
Burail Jail in Chandigarh since May 25, seeking release on
The sessions court had earlier enhanced his six-month
imprisonment awarded by a trial court in December last year to
18 months in jail on an appeal by CBI and Ruchika`s family.
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, committed suicide
three years after being molested by Rathore on August 12,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore