SC defers interim bail application of SPS Rathore
New Delhi: Disgraced former Haryana DGP S
P S Rathore will have to celebrate Diwali behind bars with the
Supreme Court on Wednesday deferring his interim bail plea till
November 11 in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation case.
A bench of Justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan,
however, clarified that it was not rejecting the bail
application but was only deferring it and sought Central
Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) response on the plea.
Rathore`s counsel U U Lalit had pleaded to the court
to release 68-year-old Rathore on interim bail so that he can
celebrate Diwali with his family.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had on September 1
dismissed Rathore`s appeal challenging his conviction and the
sentence for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika two decades ago,
saying his conduct as a top official was "shameful".
Justice Jatinder Chauhan had also dismissed a petition
by Rathore, who is undergoing the sentence in high-security
Burail Jail in Chandigarh since May 25, seeking release on
The sessions court had earlier enhanced his six-month
imprisonment awarded by a trial court in December last year to
18 months in jail on an appeal by CBI and Ruchika`s family.
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, committed suicide
three years after being molested by Rathore on August 12,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre