Section of Haryana roadways employees calls off strike
Chandigarh: A section of Roadways employees union in Haryana on Tuesday called off their strike, which was called in support of various demands, including abolishment of contractual system, after a meeting with the state government.
Last night, at least five different unions of roadways employees had a four-hour long marathon meeting with Industry Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala at his residence here, officials said today.
The meeting started at 12 in the midnight and ended at around 3.45 am in the wee hours.
"After the successful completion of meeting with the representatives of Haryana government, the unions called off their strike," Haryana roadways employees coordination committee member Dalbir Nehra said.
"The talks with Haryana government have yielded positive results on their demands," he said.
All Haryana Roadways workers union, Haryana Roadways combined employees organisation, Roadways Karamchari union, Haryana roadways workers union and Haryana roadways ministerial staff association participated in the meeting.
However, another union - Haryana roadways Karamchari Sangh - led by Sarvat Singh Poonia said that the strike call off is "partial."
He claimed that buses of some depots including Fatehabad, Sirsa, Jhajjar, Jind, Mewat, Hisar and Faridabad are not operating today.
"Our union has a strength of some 10,000 employees and they are continuing with their strike by not plying buses," he said.
Besides Surjewala, others in the meeting were Transport Minister Aftab Ahmed, Deputy Principal Secretary to CM, RS Doon.
Surjewala said that the meeting was "fruitful and both employees and the government has reached at a common agreements on several issues concerning roadways employees."
"Now the Haryana roadways employees union have withdrawn their strike," Surjewala said.
The state government is committed to regularise 8,500 contractual employees with the roadways, Surjewala said.
All the roadways employees since 2003 will get salaries but not the arrears, he said, adding the department will take a decision on private routes soon.
Haryana Sarv Karamchari Sangh General Secretary Subash Lamba also claimed that power supply had been effected in districts of Hisar, Jind, Faridabad, Jhajjar and Mewat.
Lamba said that the government had not acceded to their prime demand of cancellation of 3,519 route permits to private bus operators across Haryana.
Haryana roadways has a fleet of some 4000 buses and its employees strength is 18000.
Over two lakh employees of the state government, boards and corporations have been pressing for various demands, including abolishment of contractual system and outsourcing of work, filling up of vacancies, regularisation of part-time employees, and cancellation of 3,519 permits to private bus operators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly