Sex ratio in Haryana improves to 881
Chandigarh: In a positive sign, Haryana`s skewed sex-ratio has improved to 881 from 875 last year on the back of measures taken by the health department, the state government said on Saturday.
In the last one year, the sex ratio has improved in 12 districts of the state including the five districts of Ambala, Kaithal, Panchkula, Panipat and Mewat, where it has improved to more than 900, the spokesman said.
"The slew of promotional-cum-punitive measures taken by the Health department have paid rich dividends," the spokesman said, attributing credit to the pro-active policies adopted by the state`s health department.
The various steps taken by the health department to improve female sex ratio include improving health facilities on one side, and punishing those found involved in female foeticide or sex determination of the unborn child, the spokesman added.
The Health Department has cancelled registration of 37 illegal gender detection centres and sealed ultrasound machines of 38 centres between April, 2013 and March, 2014, the spokesman said.
Besides, seven doctors have been convicted under the PNDCT Act and their names removed from the register of Haryana State Medical Council for five years.
In the last two months, 22 FIRs have been registered for the violation of the PC and PNDCT Act 1994.
In addition to this, all villages showing positive improvement in their sex-ratio will be rewarded under the scheme `Best Village`, the spokesman added.
The health department is trying to meet its target of improving the sex-ratio to 900 females per 1000 males.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video