Slap murder charge for female foeticide: Khap panchayats
Jind (Har): A Khap Mahapanchayat, attended by leaders of over 300 khaps from Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh here, took a stern stand against female foeticide today and demanded that murder charges be slapped against those who indulge into the "heinous act".
The Mahapanchayat, which for the first time saw a large number of women participants, was held in Bibipur village.
It was also decided in the Mahapanchaya that a campaign would be launched against the rampant social evil.
The Mahapanchayat or a conglomeration of various caste councils was held to create awareness among people against the social malady. Kuldeep Singh, a Khap leader presided over the gathering.
It was pointed out that due to female foeticide the population of girls has decreased, therefore, effective steps should be taken to prevent this social ill.
The meeting, which was held in a Haryana village, also holds significance due to its location as the state is infamous for its skewed sex ratio.
The Khap leaders also stressed on the need for creating social awareness against female foeticide.
With women of the village leading the campaign, the Gram Sabha of the village had invited leaders of over 300 Khaps to seek their support for the campaign.
Meanwhile, Haryana Education, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Geeta Bhukkal hailed the initiative taken by Khap Panchayats and especially by women of Bibipur village against the menace of female foeticide.
She told the media at Jhajjar that such initiatives would not only generate mass awareness about social evils like female foeticide, but would also help in launching mass movements against it.
The minister said that people belonging to all sections of the society should come forward to launch a drive against this social evil which has made a dent in gender ratio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj