Smart Card-based TPDS launched in Haryana as a pilot project
Chandigarh: Smart Card-based targeted
public distribution system (TPDS) was today launched in
Haryana as a pilot project by the Union Agriculture Minister
Sharad Pawar through video conferencing from Delhi.
Simultaneously, the Haryana Food and Supplies Minister,
Mahender Partap Singh distributed ration to the consumers
through smart card at a function organised at Panchkula, near
here, to mark the implementation of the project.
In the first phase, the Smart Card Project will be
implemented in four blocks of four districts, Ambala block of
Ambala, Gharaunda block of Karnal, Sonipat block of Sonipat
and Sirsa block of Sirsa.
Speaking on the occasion, the Union Minister said that
the main aim of this project was to prevent the alarming
diversion of essential commodities and introduction of
accountability and transparency in the distribution system.
He said the Haryana and Punjab have the highest
contribution in the Central pool, therefore, their
responsibility for effective implementation of this project
was also high.
Pawar said that it was the responsibility of Centre as
well the State Government to implement best public
distribution system (PDS) and minimize the public grievances.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had announced in
his budget speech that the project of replacing paper-based
ration cards with smart cards will be implemented in the State
of Haryana and Chandigarh as a pilot project.
On the occasion, Mahender Singh said that the project is
being implemented to make the PDS more effective and
Singh said that under the project about 54 lakh eligible
families of the State would be issued smart cards.
Singh also demanded a special grant package from Centre
for storage and preservation of foodgrains.
He said that Rs 137 crore was being incurred on this
project by the Central Government and Rs five crore has been
spent on the implementation of this project in Chandigarh.
Giving details of the smart card, the Haryana Minister
said the monthly entitlement of consumers would be stored in
the card and all the transactions at fair price shops would be
performed only on the production of the card by one of the
authorised members of the family.
Finger print templates of three members along with the
photo of head of the family would be stored in the card to
ensure that the transaction happened only in the presence of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH