Spouses slug out in Haryana Lok Sabha poll campaign
Chandigarh: Spouses and daughters of some contestants are slugging it out to ensure their victory in Haryana where multi-corner contests are on the cards in all the ten Lok Sabha seats.
Haryana may be infamous for its skewed sex ratio but in the run up to the April 10 Lok Sabha polls, women are sweating it out to garner votes for their relatives.
With prestige at stake in his family`s traditional Rohtak Lok Sabha seat, sitting MP Deepender Hooda (Congress) is fighting another battle and that is with his backache.
Down with health problems, Deepender`s canvassing is being taken care of by his wife Sheweta and mother Asha who are leaving no stone unturned to seek votes for the sitting MP by getting the electorate apprised about development work done in Rohtak over the years.
Former Chief Minister Bansi Lal`s grand daughter and sitting MP Shruti Choudhary (Congress) is getting able support in her campaigning from her mother and cabinet minister Kiran Choudhary for Bhiwani-Mahendergarh seat.
Kiran had recently received injuries when she was stoned by some unidentified persons during electioneering at Narnaul in favour of her daughter.
Noted dancer Shalu Jindal is seeking votes for her industrialist-husband Naveen Jindal who is seeking hat-trick of victories from Kurukshetra seat as a Congress candidate.
Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) supremo Kuldeep Bishnoi, contesting from his traditional Hisar seat, is also banking upon canvassing by his mother Jasma Devi and his wife and siting MLA Renuka.
Hisar seat is set to witness a big battle as Bishnoi faces Congress candidate Sampat Singh and Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) young leader Dushyant Singh, son of jailed leader and former MP Ajay Singh Chautala.
Sampat`s wife Krishna is also wooing the voters so that her husband tastes victory this time after his unsuccessful 2009 electoral battle.
Kiran Chopra, wife of Ashwani Chopra of BJP who is in fray for Karnal Lok Sabha seat, is meeting voters for her husband.
In Sirsa (reserve) seat, Avintka Makan is helping her husband and sitting Congress MP Ashok Tanwar.
Prominent women contestants in the state are Shruti (Cong-Bhiwani-Mahendergarh), Kusum Sherwal (INLD-Ambala- reserve), Balwinder Kaur (Aam Aadmi Party- Kurukshetra).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof