SPS Rathore abused law: CBI
Chandigarh: The CBI on Tuesday said the former
Haryana police chief S P S Rathore, convicted for molesting
teenager Ruchika Girhotra, had misused his position and was
not entitled for any mercy.
Concluding its arguments on the petition filed by the
ex-DGP in the Punjab and Haryana High Court challenging his
conviction, the CBI contended it was a proven case where the
fight was between two unequals.
Rathore was a senior police officer when he molested
Ruchika who was an ordinary girl, CBI counsel Anmol Rattan
Sidhu said in the court.
Rathore misused his official position and, therefore,
he was not entitled for any mercy or probation, he argued.
The CBI and former top cop`s counsel Abha, who is also
the wife of Rathore, had completed their arguments in the case
before Justice Jitendra Chauhan.
On May 25, a local court had awarded 18-month prison
term to Rathore for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika, a budding
A day later, Rathore, lodged in Burail Jail, filed a
revision petition before the Punjab and Haryana High Court
challenging his conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Over confidence' not the reason behind Pakistan's struggle in second test: Grant Flower
- Govt trying to pass GST bill this session: Meghwal
- Complaint against JD(U) MLA for demanding Rs 20 lakh
- Black money: Willing to walk extra mile to address concerns over IDS, says Govt
- LeEco Max 2: Made for Pokémon GO smartphone