Stir over Dalit girl`s death enters 6th day in Haryana
Jind: The demonstration against the death of a Dalit girl here entered its sixth say on Friday even as attempts by district officials to get the stir withdrawn were rejected by protesters.
Relatives of the 20-year-old girl continued with their dharna on the premises of the local civil hospital to press their demand for the alleged culprits in the case to be brought to the book.
The protesters announced that they will continue with the agitation until their demands are accepted.
A 45-member committee has been put together by the protesters to decide the future course of action for their agitation.
Members of the committee today met the Deputy Commissioner of Jind and reportedly came to some sort of understanding about withdrawing the protest.
The protesters, however, rejected the agreement decided on by the committee.
The chairman of the committee, Dharampal, had announced yesterday that if the demands of the protesters were not accepted within 24 hours, they would stage a roadblock here with the body of the girl.
The body of the girl, a resident of Baniakhera village, was last Sunday found in Jind with her relatives alleging that she had been raped and then murdered.
However, based on the report of a viscera examination, police said that the girl died due to consuming poison. They also said that there was no medical confirmation of rape on the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production