Stop all illegal mining in Mewat: SC tells Haryana
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday ordered
Haryana government to stop all illegal mining activities in
various Mewat district villages of the state.
A special forest bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and
C K Prasad ordered ban on mining in Kota, Gangani, Sarai,
Mohammadpur and Kharag Jalalpur villages of Mewat on the basis
of Central Empowered Committee`s report, alleging large-scale
illegal mining in the area.
The apex court while prohibiting the mining operations
also stopped transportation and crushing of illegal minerals
by the mafia elements.
The bench further issued notices to Haryana Government
including the Mewat district collector, the superintendent of
police and the deputy commissioner and sought their replies to
the CEC report.
The CEC, in its report, stated that "the presence of a
large number of stone crushers acts as an incentive for the
"It is necessary that establishment and functioning of
stone crushers is strictly regulated, without which any
effective control on illegal mining may not be feasible."
The CEC sought a direction to curb the illegal mining, by
also prohibiting the movement of vehicles carrying minerals
and wanted the court to ensure that vehicles found involved in
illegal transportation should be confiscated.
The report said "the CEC found non-forestry use of about
15 acres of land falling under village Raisina in Gurgaon
district; 4,560 trees had been removed illegally in that area
and the ground had been levelled."
It wanted "exemplary action to ensure that blatant
violations did not take place in future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets