Stray violence in second phase of Haryana panchayat polls
Chandigarh: Stray violence was reported from
different places as the second and final phase of panchayat
elections in 12 districts of Haryana was held on Saturday with a
nearly 80 per cent voters` turnout.
There were reports of group clashes at a few booths in
Mewat district which had witnessed largescale violence in the
first phase of panchayat polls held on June 6.
At a group clash in Mewli village in Mewat, miscreants
damaged some EVMs while a firing incident was also reported
but there were no casualties, State Election Commissioner
He said a re-poll is likely be held at five booths in Mewat.
Dharamvir said group clashes were reported also from
Bahri Kalan village in Bhiwani district where re-polling may be
held in 14 booths.
Rival groups clashed at village Ravalo close to Ambala city
between the supporters of two candidates and a case was
registered against eight persons.
The districts were polls were held today included Ambala,
Bhiwani, Fatehabad, Jind, Jhajjar, Kaithal, Kurukshetra,
Mahendergarh at Narnaul, Sirsa, Sonepat, Mewat at Nuh and
5,976 polling stations were set up in which 30,18,531
voters were eligible to exercise their right to elect 1,888
sarpanches, 18,262 panches, 854 panchayat samiti and 234 zila
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees