Surjewala selected as best legislator amid controversy
Chandigarh: Amid controversy, Haryana`s Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Surjewala was on Wednesday selected as the best legislator for the year 2012-13 by a House panel of which he himself was the member.
The announcement led to criticism by opposition INLD, with state chief Ashok Arora protesting Surjewala`s nomination on the ground that a minister, who was also part of the selection committee, should not be shortlisted for the award.
He further alleged that the panel was dominated by the ruling Congress members and comprised only two members from the opposition parties.
Arora further sought a mechanism in which such selections are made in a "fair and transparent" manner.
Surjewala was selected for the `Best Legislator Award` by a seven-member House panel headed by Speaker Kuldip Sharma, an official spokesperson said.
Former Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition Om Parkash Chautala, presently lodged in a Delhi jail following his conviction in a teachers` recruitment scam, was also among the contenders, he said.
The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a trophy and a certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad