Surjewala selected as best legislator amid controversy
Chandigarh: Amid controversy, Haryana`s Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Surjewala was on Wednesday selected as the best legislator for the year 2012-13 by a House panel of which he himself was the member.
The announcement led to criticism by opposition INLD, with state chief Ashok Arora protesting Surjewala`s nomination on the ground that a minister, who was also part of the selection committee, should not be shortlisted for the award.
He further alleged that the panel was dominated by the ruling Congress members and comprised only two members from the opposition parties.
Arora further sought a mechanism in which such selections are made in a "fair and transparent" manner.
Surjewala was selected for the `Best Legislator Award` by a seven-member House panel headed by Speaker Kuldip Sharma, an official spokesperson said.
Former Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition Om Parkash Chautala, presently lodged in a Delhi jail following his conviction in a teachers` recruitment scam, was also among the contenders, he said.
The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a trophy and a certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS