Teacher recruitment scam: HC seeks CBI response to plea of 71-yr-old convict
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday asked CBI to file its response to the plea of a 71-year-old woman, sentenced along with former Haryana Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala in the teacher recruitment scam case, challenging conviction and jail term awarded in the case.
Justice Mukta Gupta also asked the Superintendent, Tihar Jail to file a status report giving details about the health conditions of Raksha Jindal, who was awarded four years` jail term in the case.
Besides the appeal against her conviction, Jindal has also moved an application for grant of bail on medical grounds.
"The convict is 71-year-old and is wheelchair bound as she has been suffering permanent disability. Even the trial court had allowed her to use the wheelchair inside the prison," counsel for the convict said while seeking bail.
Jindal, who was a member of the district level selection committee constituted to recruit teachers in Haryana, was held guilty alongside Chautala and others under various provisions of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA).
The court has fixed the matter on February 7 for filing of Jindal`s medical report and reply of CBI to her appeal.
Earlier, the high court had granted interim bail for five weeks to another convict in the case, Rekha Sharma, to attend the marriage ceremony of her daughter.
A CBI court on January 22, had sentenced 78-year-old Chautala, his son 51-year-old Ajay Chautala and 53 others, including two IAS officers, for various offences.
On January 16, the court had convicted them under sections 120B (criminal conspiracy), 418 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 471 (using forged documents as genuine) of the IPC and sections 13(1)(d) and 13(2) of the PCA for the illegal recruitment of 3,206 junior basic trained (JBT) teachers.
The CBI court had sentenced Om Prakash Chautala, Ajay Chautala and eight others to 10 years in jail while one convict was sentenced to five years in jail and 45 others to four years in jail.
Apart from the Chautalas, the 53 others who were convicted included Sanjiv Kumar, the then Director of Primary Education, Chautala`s former Officer on Special Duty Vidya Dhar, both IAS officers, and Sher Singh Badshami, earlier Chautala`s political advisor and currently a sitting MLA.
The court had convicted them relying on the testimony of Kumar, who initially was a whistle blower but in the CBI probe that followed he was found to be involved in the scam.
In June 2008, CBI had filed its charge sheet before the special CBI court against 62 persons, out of which six had died during the trial while one was discharged by the court.
The apex court had in its order of November 25, 2003, directed CBI to take up the investigation of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly