Teachers` recruitment case: Accused gets bail for daughter`s wedding
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday granted five weeks` bail to Rekha Sharma, convicted along with former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala in a teacher-recruitment scam, in view of her daughter`s marriage on Feb 6.
Rekha Sharma, then senior lecturer, District Institute of Education and Training, was sentenced to four years of jail on Jan 22. She had moved the high court seeking bail to solemnize the marriage of her daughter.
Justice Mukta Gupta, granting interim bail to Sharma, said: "I deem it fit to suspend the sentence for the period of five weeks on submission of a personal bond of Rs 25,000 with surety of like amount."
Special CBI Judge Vinod Kumar had sentenced Indian National Lok Dal chief and former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, his son Ajay Chautala, and eight others to 10 years in jail. One accused in the case was convicted and sentenced to five years in jail, while 45 others got four years` imprisonment.
The court had earlier found prima facie evidence against the Chautalas and 53 others and charged all of them June 6, 2008, for their role in the scam that took place between 1999 and 2000, when Om Prakash Chautala was Haryana chief minister.
Over 3,000 teachers were to be recruited in the state and Chautala pressurised a senior official, Sanjiv Kumar, to change the list of selected candidates by fudging the marks of certain favourites.
Of the 62 people accused in the junior basic training (JBT) teacher hiring scam, six died during the trial. One was discharged during framing of charges.
The Chautalas and others were held guilty of offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA).
The court framed charges against them under Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for cheating) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document) of the IPC and provisions of the PCA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday