Teachers` recruitment case: Accused gets bail for daughter`s wedding
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday granted five weeks` bail to Rekha Sharma, convicted along with former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala in a teacher-recruitment scam, in view of her daughter`s marriage on Feb 6.
Rekha Sharma, then senior lecturer, District Institute of Education and Training, was sentenced to four years of jail on Jan 22. She had moved the high court seeking bail to solemnize the marriage of her daughter.
Justice Mukta Gupta, granting interim bail to Sharma, said: "I deem it fit to suspend the sentence for the period of five weeks on submission of a personal bond of Rs 25,000 with surety of like amount."
Special CBI Judge Vinod Kumar had sentenced Indian National Lok Dal chief and former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, his son Ajay Chautala, and eight others to 10 years in jail. One accused in the case was convicted and sentenced to five years in jail, while 45 others got four years` imprisonment.
The court had earlier found prima facie evidence against the Chautalas and 53 others and charged all of them June 6, 2008, for their role in the scam that took place between 1999 and 2000, when Om Prakash Chautala was Haryana chief minister.
Over 3,000 teachers were to be recruited in the state and Chautala pressurised a senior official, Sanjiv Kumar, to change the list of selected candidates by fudging the marks of certain favourites.
Of the 62 people accused in the junior basic training (JBT) teacher hiring scam, six died during the trial. One was discharged during framing of charges.
The Chautalas and others were held guilty of offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA).
The court framed charges against them under Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for cheating) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document) of the IPC and provisions of the PCA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you