Three sentenced to 10 years jail for dowry death
Hisar: A local court has sentenced three members of a family to 10-years of imprisonment in connection with a dowry death case.
In the judgement pronounced here yesterday, Additional District and Sessions Judge Madhu Khanna Lali held the victim`s husband Jaivir, father-in-law Abhey Ram and one relative guilty of dowry death.
The court also ordered the convicts to pay a fine of Rs 5,000 each and in case of default of payment, they would have to further undergo imprisonment for two months each.
The convicted persons, all residents of Jewra village in Hisar district were found guilty of dowry death on December 31, 2011.
The victim`s father Jagdish had lodged a complaint in which he alleged that her daughter, Minakshi was murdered for not bringing adequate dowry.
In her statement before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, the victim had alleged that her in-laws were demanding Rs 1 lakh, but when she failed to bring the money, her husband Jaivir sprinkled kerosene on her clothes with the help of others and set her on fire.
Two days after giving her statement, Minakshi had succumbed to burn injuries in PGIMS hospital at Rohtak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner