Three sentenced to 10 years jail for dowry death
Hisar: A local court has sentenced three members of a family to 10-years of imprisonment in connection with a dowry death case.
In the judgement pronounced here yesterday, Additional District and Sessions Judge Madhu Khanna Lali held the victim`s husband Jaivir, father-in-law Abhey Ram and one relative guilty of dowry death.
The court also ordered the convicts to pay a fine of Rs 5,000 each and in case of default of payment, they would have to further undergo imprisonment for two months each.
The convicted persons, all residents of Jewra village in Hisar district were found guilty of dowry death on December 31, 2011.
The victim`s father Jagdish had lodged a complaint in which he alleged that her daughter, Minakshi was murdered for not bringing adequate dowry.
In her statement before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, the victim had alleged that her in-laws were demanding Rs 1 lakh, but when she failed to bring the money, her husband Jaivir sprinkled kerosene on her clothes with the help of others and set her on fire.
Two days after giving her statement, Minakshi had succumbed to burn injuries in PGIMS hospital at Rohtak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says