Three sentenced to 10 years jail for dowry death
Hisar: A local court has sentenced three members of a family to 10-years of imprisonment in connection with a dowry death case.
In the judgement pronounced here yesterday, Additional District and Sessions Judge Madhu Khanna Lali held the victim`s husband Jaivir, father-in-law Abhey Ram and one relative guilty of dowry death.
The court also ordered the convicts to pay a fine of Rs 5,000 each and in case of default of payment, they would have to further undergo imprisonment for two months each.
The convicted persons, all residents of Jewra village in Hisar district were found guilty of dowry death on December 31, 2011.
The victim`s father Jagdish had lodged a complaint in which he alleged that her daughter, Minakshi was murdered for not bringing adequate dowry.
In her statement before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, the victim had alleged that her in-laws were demanding Rs 1 lakh, but when she failed to bring the money, her husband Jaivir sprinkled kerosene on her clothes with the help of others and set her on fire.
Two days after giving her statement, Minakshi had succumbed to burn injuries in PGIMS hospital at Rohtak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?