Tiger poachers nabbed at BRT Tiger Reserve
Chamarajanagar: An inter-state gang of tiger poachers from Haryana were arrested in the periphery of Kollegal wildlife range of BRT Tiger Reserve on Saturday, a senior forest official said.
The six-member gang, including a woman, had come from that state with the sole purpose of poaching tigers, Director, BRT (Biligiri Ranganathittu) Tiger Reserve, Vijay Mohan Raj said in a press release.
During questioning, they said they had been sent by two persons from Haryana with clear instructions and directions on how to reach the area. They operated from a temporary camp outside the reserve.
The poachers said familiarised themselves with the terrain and tiger movements four to six days and camped in a narrow cave deep inside the valley to avoid detection by patrols.
The poachers, all expert trackers, also led officials to areas where they had set up three traps, Raj said.
He said their modus-operandi was to activate the traps at night, dismantle them in the morning and hide it at nearby places for subsequent use.
The operation was carried out on alerts from National Tiger Conservation Authority, Delhi and inputs from State Wildlife Wing, Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild life) and Chief Wildlife Warden, Karnataka Forest Department.
Further support and information were given by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau, Wildlife Trust of India and Voice for Wildlife Trust, Mysore.
The release said the arrest has clearly brought out the fact that poachers specifically target protected areas with tiger population.
Keeping this in mind, surveillance, monitoring and protection in these areas and other forests has been increased, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in