Tiger poachers nabbed at BRT Tiger Reserve
Chamarajanagar: An inter-state gang of tiger poachers from Haryana were arrested in the periphery of Kollegal wildlife range of BRT Tiger Reserve on Saturday, a senior forest official said.
The six-member gang, including a woman, had come from that state with the sole purpose of poaching tigers, Director, BRT (Biligiri Ranganathittu) Tiger Reserve, Vijay Mohan Raj said in a press release.
During questioning, they said they had been sent by two persons from Haryana with clear instructions and directions on how to reach the area. They operated from a temporary camp outside the reserve.
The poachers said familiarised themselves with the terrain and tiger movements four to six days and camped in a narrow cave deep inside the valley to avoid detection by patrols.
The poachers, all expert trackers, also led officials to areas where they had set up three traps, Raj said.
He said their modus-operandi was to activate the traps at night, dismantle them in the morning and hide it at nearby places for subsequent use.
The operation was carried out on alerts from National Tiger Conservation Authority, Delhi and inputs from State Wildlife Wing, Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wild life) and Chief Wildlife Warden, Karnataka Forest Department.
Further support and information were given by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau, Wildlife Trust of India and Voice for Wildlife Trust, Mysore.
The release said the arrest has clearly brought out the fact that poachers specifically target protected areas with tiger population.
Keeping this in mind, surveillance, monitoring and protection in these areas and other forests has been increased, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says