Tigress killed by tiger in Haryana zoo
Bhiwani (Har): A tigress was killed by a tiger in a local zoo, the second such incident involving the big cat.
The tiger Apaya entered the enclosure of the tigress Rani and fatally attacked her at Surender Singh Memorial Zoo here yesterday, officials said on Thursday.
Zoo employees and the care taker tried to save the tigress but failed, they said.
Zoo sources said Apaya had killed a tigress in December 2009 also.
Another tiger Brondis had killed a caretaker in January last year.
District Forest officer (Wildlife) Shakti Singh said that Rani was buried on the zoo premises.
With the death of the tigress, only five tigers are now left in captivity in Haryana-- two each in Bhiwani and Rohtak zoos and one in Pipli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!