Uproar in Haryana Assembly
Chandigarh: The Haryana Assembly on Wednesday witnessed noisy scenes with Opposition members alleging the state government had not recognised the feat of Mount Everest climber Sunita Singh.
BJP member Krishan Pal Gujjar sought to know why Sunita Singh, who hails from Rewari district, had not been given the post of DSP in Haryana Police.
Another Mount Everest climber Mamta Sauda had been appointed to this post and given monetary incentives, he said. INLD`s Abhay Chautala sought to know whether Sunita could be offered the post of DSP and given cash award.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala said "we have noted it and we will positively examine it".
He said Sauda`s case was a special one and factors like her background from a poor dalit family were also taken into account.
The Minister asked them to clarify if "they are anti-Dalit", adding politics should not be mixed with sports.
The remarks angered the opposition members and soon they were on their feet. The House witnessed ruckus for nearly 40 minutes.
Mamata Sauda, hailing from Rohtak region, had been given the post of DSP and a hefty cash reward by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Gold price perks up on global cues, jewellers' support
- Modern Indian masters, rare art works at Christie's sale
- Unhappy marriage good for diabetic men: Study
- New song 'Da Da Dasse' from 'Udta Punjab' is thoroughly intoxicating – Watch here
- Video alert! Salman Khan’s reaction to ‘marriage wala sawal’ at ‘Sultan’ trailer launch is EPIC