Uproar in Haryana Assembly
Chandigarh: The Haryana Assembly on Wednesday witnessed noisy scenes with Opposition members alleging the state government had not recognised the feat of Mount Everest climber Sunita Singh.
BJP member Krishan Pal Gujjar sought to know why Sunita Singh, who hails from Rewari district, had not been given the post of DSP in Haryana Police.
Another Mount Everest climber Mamta Sauda had been appointed to this post and given monetary incentives, he said. INLD`s Abhay Chautala sought to know whether Sunita could be offered the post of DSP and given cash award.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala said "we have noted it and we will positively examine it".
He said Sauda`s case was a special one and factors like her background from a poor dalit family were also taken into account.
The Minister asked them to clarify if "they are anti-Dalit", adding politics should not be mixed with sports.
The remarks angered the opposition members and soon they were on their feet. The House witnessed ruckus for nearly 40 minutes.
Mamata Sauda, hailing from Rohtak region, had been given the post of DSP and a hefty cash reward by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen