Uproar in Haryana Assembly
Chandigarh: The Haryana Assembly on Wednesday witnessed noisy scenes with Opposition members alleging the state government had not recognised the feat of Mount Everest climber Sunita Singh.
BJP member Krishan Pal Gujjar sought to know why Sunita Singh, who hails from Rewari district, had not been given the post of DSP in Haryana Police.
Another Mount Everest climber Mamta Sauda had been appointed to this post and given monetary incentives, he said. INLD`s Abhay Chautala sought to know whether Sunita could be offered the post of DSP and given cash award.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala said "we have noted it and we will positively examine it".
He said Sauda`s case was a special one and factors like her background from a poor dalit family were also taken into account.
The Minister asked them to clarify if "they are anti-Dalit", adding politics should not be mixed with sports.
The remarks angered the opposition members and soon they were on their feet. The House witnessed ruckus for nearly 40 minutes.
Mamata Sauda, hailing from Rohtak region, had been given the post of DSP and a hefty cash reward by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy