Varsity football coach booked for making casteist remarks
Hisar (Haryana): Kurukshetra University`s football team coach Mahesh Khyalia was on Tuesday booked for allegedly making casteist remarks against a woman player.
Police said Khyalia has been booked under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
The coach made the remarks when the girl was practising on ground, drawing sharp reactions from women and Dalit students.
Though the coach had apologised for his comments, the students went to the city police station and registered a case against him.
Meanwhile, the final match of All India Women Inter-Varsity Football Championship was delayed by five hours owing to the agitation by women and Dalit and students against the remarks. The match was held later in the evening at Guru Jambeshwar University of Science and Technology (GJUST) here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire