Vashisht takes charge as new Haryana DGP
Chandigarh: Shriniwas Vashisht, a 1981 batch IPS officer on Wednesday took over as Haryana`s new Director General of Police.
Vashisht, who was earlier DGP (Vigilance Bureau), took charge at state police headquarters in Panchkula from 1974 batch IPS officer Ranjiv Singh Dalal, who retired today.
The new DGP assumes office at a time when the state is witnessing a spurt in crime against women.
Speaking after taking charge, Vashisht promised swift action against perpetrators of such crimes including those against the weaker sections of the society.
He also talked about the helpline recently made operational for the women who fall victims to such crimes.
Vashisht said providing a proactive, responsive, swift and decisive police administration to the people will top his list of priorities.
He said he will focus on further improving the police-public relations, so that people can feel free in approaching policemen without any hesitation.
Against the backdrop of violence at Maruti Suzuki`s Manesar plant earlier this year, the new DGP said maintaining industrial peace in the state will be among his top priorities.
Vashisht informed that efforts will be made to fill up at the earliest the vacancies lying vacant in the state police department.
He said that 7,000 police personnel were receiving police training in the state and steps will be taken to absorb them soon to further strengthen the police force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad