Villagers end stir as SIT to probe Dalit girl`s death
Jind: Villagers who were protesting the death of a Dalit girl in Baniyakheda village of the district for the last one week, have withdrawn their stir after authorities decided that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Haryana Police will probe the case.
The decision was taken after the district authorities held a meeting with the agitators here late last night.
The authorities have also accepted the agitators` demand for a magisterial inquiry into police lathicharge on the demonstrators on Sunday.
The SIT, which will probe into the case, will be headed by Hisar SP Satish Balan.
Relatives of the 20-year-old girl were on dharna with the victim`s body on the premises of the local civil hospital for the last six days.
The body of the girl, a resident of Baniakhera village, was last Sunday found in Jind with her relatives alleging that she had been raped and then murdered.
However, based on the report of a viscera examination, police had said that the girl died due to consuming poison. They had also claimed that that there was no medical confirmation of rape on the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'