Villagers end stir as SIT to probe Dalit girl`s death
Jind: Villagers who were protesting the death of a Dalit girl in Baniyakheda village of the district for the last one week, have withdrawn their stir after authorities decided that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Haryana Police will probe the case.
The decision was taken after the district authorities held a meeting with the agitators here late last night.
The authorities have also accepted the agitators` demand for a magisterial inquiry into police lathicharge on the demonstrators on Sunday.
The SIT, which will probe into the case, will be headed by Hisar SP Satish Balan.
Relatives of the 20-year-old girl were on dharna with the victim`s body on the premises of the local civil hospital for the last six days.
The body of the girl, a resident of Baniakhera village, was last Sunday found in Jind with her relatives alleging that she had been raped and then murdered.
However, based on the report of a viscera examination, police had said that the girl died due to consuming poison. They had also claimed that that there was no medical confirmation of rape on the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what