Villages of Haryana players get Rs 220 mn grant
Chandigarh: The Haryana government has sanctioned nearly Rs 22 crore (Rs 220 million) for the development of villages of medal winners and participants in the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games, an official said on Friday.
The state government has identified 92 villages of medal winners and participants across the state for the development grant.
In the October 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi and November Asian Games in Guangzhou (China), players from Haryana bagged 30-35 percent of the total medals won by the country.
An official spokesman said the villages of gold medal winners were being given Rs 51 lakh each, those of silver medal winners Rs 31 lakh each and those of bronze medal winners would be given Rs 21 lakh each to carry out developmental work.
Villages of participants in these international events would get Rs 11 lakh each.
The leading players from Haryana include boxers Vijender Singh and Paramjit Samota, discuss thrower Krishna Punia, wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt and shooter Anisha Sayyed. Twenty-one players from the state had won gold medals at both events.
The spokesman added that the grant was being given to encourage rural youth to take to sports and bring laurels to the country and the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister