Wealth tax rollback historic: Bhupinder Singh Hooda
New Delhi: Describing the Centre`s decision of not imposing wealth tax as historic, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda today said it will benefit the farming community in long run as in future no other government would be able to impose any tax on agricultural land.
"It would now doubly benefit the farming communities, first that all the technical faults have been removed and second, in future no successive government would be able to impose any tax on agricultural land," Hooda said.
Hooda, who had led a delegation of Congress MPs from northern states to the Finance Minister against the imposition of wealth tax on agricultural land, described it as a historic decision and said,"now it has once again became amply clear that interests of the farmers were completely safe in the hands of Congress."
"It has also become clear that the intention was never to impose property tax and it got inadvertently imposed due to a bill passed in 1993," the Chief Minister said.
Hooda said only from the technical aspects, the wealth tax on agricultural land adjoining the urban areas got imposed and this never got any attention till recently.
After this issue was raised, a large delegation of about 30 MPs and public representatives from various states met the Finance Minister and apprised him about its adverse affects on the farming community, he said.
The Chief Minister thanked UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram for the announcement.
The Finance Minister had assured that the interests of the farmers would be safeguarded at all costs by not levying any wealth tax on agricultural land, and amendments, if necessary, would be made to remove the technical hassles in this regard, he further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!