Wheat collection in Haryana at all-time high
Chandigarh: Wheat procurement in Haryana has touched the all-time high level of 73.13 lakh tonnes this season on the back of bumper crop.
With wheat arriving in huge quantities, Haryana is anticipating that the total wheat procurement could even reach an "unthinkable" level of 80 lakh tonnes, an official of Haryana Food and Supply department said here.
The record wheat collection poses a serious challenge of storage to the state authorities. With storage facilities overflowing, the administration fear that they would have to keep a considerable quantity in the open, exposing them to vagaries of weather in the coming monsoon season.
Haryana has been demanding speedy movement of foodgrain to other states in order to free the godowns.
The procurement so far is up by 23 per cent over the 59.44 lakh tonnes in corresponding period of last season, the official said.
Before the start of lifting, the Haryana government has made arrangement for procuring 70 lakh tonnes of wheat for the current rabi marketing season.
The daily arrival of the crop is still in the range of 2 lakh tonnes, indicating that state was heading for bumper output, the official added.
Haryana, which contributes 30 per cent of crop to the central kitty, has pegged its wheat production at 118.61 lakh tonnes, with an area of 25.05 lakh hectares.
The state has covered capacity of 48.79 lakh tonnes while Covered Area Plinth (CAP) is 30 lakh tonne. To augment the storage capacity, Centre has allocated the construction of 39 lakh tonne of new capacities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price