Woman booked for not reporting daughter`s rape
Rohtak (Haryana): A woman in a village in Haryana`s Rohtak district has been booked by the police for hiding the fact that her minor daughter was raped, police said on Saturday.
The victim, aged 14, was raped by a youth, Sunil, who hailed from the same village of Sunariya in Rohtak district, 80 km from New Delhi.
Though the incident took place over two months ago, the police registered the rape case against Sunil on Friday on the victim`s complaint.
The police also booked the victim`s mother, Geeta, under section 120-B (conspiracy), Ved Singh Nain, a spokesman of the Rohtak police, told a news agency. The accused and the mother have been arrested.
The woman tried to hide the rape when the victim told her about it. She even reprimanded her. The accused used to visit the house of the victim even after committing the crime, police said.
It was only when the victim went to her aunt`s house in a village in Panipat district and narrated the whole incident that the matter was reported to the Panipat police.
Nain said: "The victim, in her complaint lodged with the Panipat police, has alleged that she was raped by Sunil in the village in August. When she informed about the crime to her mother, she (mother) started reprimanding her instead of reporting it to the police."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Politics over Yoga? BMC makes 'Surya Namaskar' mandatory in all affiliated schools in Mumbai
- Russia might use Iran air base again to carry out attacks on terror targets in Syria
- Sri Lanka vs Australia, 2nd ODI — As it happened...
- Special session of Goa Assembly to ratify GST on August 31
- Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing to discuss North Korean missile test