Work as crusaders for change: Somnath to youths
Rohtak: Former Lok Sabha Speaker
Somnath Chatterjee Monday asked youths to work as crusaders for removing the ills plaguing our society and provide leadership
to change the system for the better.
"It is of little use to be just critical of the
aberrations or non-achievements in the society. You have to be
participants in bringing about the change and not be mere
bystanders or critics," he said at the 15th convocation
function at Maharishi Dayanand University here.
The country has great expectations from its youth who
should bring in freshness of approach along with youthful
energy and passion for addressing the imperfections in the
institutions of democracy, he said.
"Parliament still remains the most potent vehicle for
translating people`s expectations into reality, to bring about
socio-economic and political transformation...the country
requires larger numbers of committed youths to come forward to
occupy the political space," he said.
Stressing the role of education in building a nation,
Chatterjee said education alone can bring about democratic
consolidation, social cohesiveness and sustained growth.
"Education is the most effective instrument to acquire
knowledge, to nurture social and moral values, and to make
citizens socially sensitive, responsible and forward looking,"
He rued the fact that in spite of substantial progress
made during the last seven decades, India presents a
contrasting picture of affluence and deprivation.
"On the one hand there is India of the rich, of those
who have had the benefit of modern education and are
intellectually and materially empowered, and, on the other, is
deprivation, squalor, illiteracy, ignorance, intolerance and
prejudice," the former Lok Sabha speaker said.
He regretted that polity fractured on religious, caste,
regional and linguistic lines and influenced by
confrontational politics was greatly weakening our democratic
structure and simultaneously stifling the country`s progress.
Earlier, renowned classical vocalist Pt Jasraj was
conferred the honorary D Litt degree in the convocation for
his outstanding contribution in Indian classical music.
Jasraj hails from Pili Mandori village in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation