Yamuna embankments in Haryana to be strengthened
Chandigarh: The Haryana government on Saturday said that the embankments of Yamuna river in the state would be further strengthened in the wake of damage caused by excessive flow of water in the river.
S S Dhillon, principal secretary, Irrigation Department, said that the embankments on the Yamuna river were being repaired as incessant rains have caused flood like situation in the state.
Officers have been directed to fasten the pace of repair work, Dhillon told reporters here in Karnal.
Dhillon, who is also the Additional Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister, was reviewing the repair works of dams which were damaged by excessive water in Yamuna river in the villages at Gharaunda in Karnal.
Referring to the discharge of over eight lakh cusec of water into the river from the Hathnikund barrage in Yamunanagar last week after heavy rains, Dhillon said that the barrage has capacity of about 7.5 lakh cusec water.
However, in view of the release of over 8 lakh cusec water, a new action plan would be prepared so that more water could be stored.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters in Chandigarh today, Additional Chief Secretary, Revenue and Disaster Management, Krishna Mohan said there is no flood-like situation in the state and at present the situation is normal in the districts of Yamunanagar, Karnal, Sonipat and Palwal.
About 30-35 villages of Yamunanagar district, 20 villages of Panipat district, 40 villages of Karnal district and two villages of Palwal district had been affected due to heavy rains.
He said that mainly crops of fruits and vegetable had been damaged and compensation would soon be provided to the farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi