Yamuna erodes land in two villages in Sonepat
Sonepat: While water level in Yamuna reached
close to the danger mark, the river has started eroding land near two villages of the district and is already posing a threat to a few others, an official said.
The Yamuna river has eroded 20 to 25 acres of Manoli
Tonki village and 15 to 20 acres of land in Jajal village
towards Haryana, the district Tehsildar Braham Parkash said.
"The water level in the river is still rising and if this
trend continues there will be a threat to other villages of
the area," Prakash told reporters here today.
The Yamuna river is once again in spate following the
release of more water from the Hathnikund barrage near
Yamunanagar after heavy rains lashed the catchment areas of
the river during the past few days.
An alert has been sounded by the district and police
administration in 50 villages which are situated along the
Yamuna bed here.
Meanwhile, officials of the irrigation department
have intensified patrolling on the Yamuna embankments and
are closely monitoring the situation.
The water level in the river had touched 205.92 metres
on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday