Breast reconstruction improves women’s sexual well-being
Washington: A new study has found that women who undergo breast reconstruction with tissue from their own abdomen after a mastectomy experience significant gains in psychological, social, and sexual well-being as soon as three weeks after surgery.
The study’s results provide new information to breast cancer survivors who are contemplating these types of breast reconstruction procedures.
The goal of breast reconstruction after a mastectomy is to restore the appearance of the breast and to improve women’s psychological health after cancer treatment.
Toni Zhong, MD, MHS, of the University Health Network Breast Restoration Program at the University of Toronto in collaboration with her colleagues at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York City surveyed 51 women undergoing free MS-TRAM or DIEP flap reconstruction between June 2009 and November 2010.
During these procedures, surgeons take tissue from the patient’s abdomen and use it to reconstruct the breast.
Women who underwent the breast reconstruction procedures reported significant improvements in psychological, social, and sexual well-being just three weeks after surgery.
Unfortunately, however, they continued to experience decreased physical well-being at the abdominal location where tissue was removed at three months following surgery.
The results may be helpful to breast cancer survivors who are considering breast reconstruction.
“Our study can serve as an important source of evidence to guide the decision-making process for both surgeons and patients,” Dr. Zhong added.
The study results were published in Cancer, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested