200 Chinese infected with hepatitis
Beijing: Over 200 people in China, including many children, have been infected with the hepatitis C virus after reusing needles at a rural clinic.
Till Dec 1, 105 people from Dancheng of Woyang county in Anhui province tested positive for the disease, while 104 people in Maqiao of Yongcheng city in Henan province also tested positive, a health official told Xinhua.
Investigators are focusing on a 60-year-old doctor at a privately-run clinic in Maqiao, who is suspected of causing the infection by reusing old needles.
Residents said the doctor, who has been practising for four decades, seldom changed needles.
He is reportedly called the "miracle doctor" for his ability to alleviate patients` fever and diarrhoea through injections and a few tablets.
Hepatitis C is mainly transmitted through contact with infected blood. It can also spread through sex, and from mother to baby during delivery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy