24 children die of mysterious disease in Odisha district
Malkangiri: With 24 children dying of a mysterious disease during last two months in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, the government has launched a drive to create health awareness and conduct medical examination in the tribal-dominated district.
"We have collected blood, water and mosquito samples in the affected areas to ascertain the reason behind the death and augmented the drive to create health awareness among the people", chief district medical officer (CDMO), Sashibhushan Panda said.
24 children aged between six months and four years died in some villages under Malkangiri and Korkunda blocks. They had swelling in their eyes, nose and ears accompanied by high fever and blood vomiting leading to death, he said.
A six-member expert team of scientists from Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC), Bhubaneswar visited the affected villages and collected samples for investigation.
Another team of doctors from the MKCG Medical College Hospital at Berhampur was touring the areas today.
"There is no death of children since the last three days and the situation is under control now", the CDMO said.
A team official on condition of anonymity said that the symptoms afflicting the children were akin to Japanese Encephalitis or Dengue. However, it could be known only after a thorough investigation of the collected samples, he said.
Even as the district administration was initiating steps to urge the people to get their children to hospitals, the people, mostly tribal, were blaming witchcraft for their troubles.
"It is an herculean task to create awareness among the people in the district. They have faith in their "Disari" (quack), "Wade" and "Gunia" (black magician) and perform "Dumapuja" (invoking the spirit). They believe that whoever goes to the hospital will invite the curse of their deity", an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark