266 million Chinese suffer from hypertension: Official
Beijing: One in every five adults has high blood pressure in China where a total of 266 million people suffer from hypertension, a top health official said.
A total of 266 million Chinese suffer from hypertension and among those aged 15 and above, about 24 per cent have the condition, said Shi Xiaoming, head of the chronic diseases division at the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.
An estimated 40 per cent of patients are not aware of their hypertension and only about 25 per cent of patients receive treatment, Shi said as the country marked National Hypertension Day.
About 15 per cent of adolescents and 30 per cent of obese adolescents have blood pressure levels that are higher than the expected level, but still within the healthy range, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Shi as saying.
High blood pressure is a main risk factor for heart attacks, heart failure, stroke and other arterial diseases.
Arterial diseases have been a serious public health problem in China, Shi said.
The increased incidence of hypertension has been caused by changes in lifestyle and diet and preventing the condition requires not only medication but also people's awareness, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried